Organizational history of Manitoba Women's Institute. Pilot Mound District
Initially known as "Ladies Mutual Benefit Societies" "Home Economics Societies" and "Household Science Association", the movement was organized formally in Manitoba in 1910 and had close ties with the Manitoba Agricultural College and the Provincial Department of Agriculture. An advisory board was appointed in 1915 to coordinate lectures, short courses and demonstrations. The name "Women's Institutes" was adopted in 1919. Provincial representatives meeting in Winnipeg in 1919 decided to organize the Federated Women's Institute of Canada. National associations looking for overseas affiliations formed the Associated Country Women of the World in 1933. A history of the Manitoba Women's Institute 1910 1980 entitled the Great Human Heart is in Box P583 of the collection.