Organizational history of Manitoba Home Economics Association. Winnipeg Branch
The Manitoba Association of Home Economists was founded in 1911. Known as the Manitoba Home Economics Association, the original membership consisted of nine members, including A.B. Juniper, M.H. Haliday, E.M. Wright, M.S. McDonald, E. Robertson, M. Kennedy, L.E. Black and S.C. Irwin. Meetings consisted of addresses, field trips, and discussions of problems and social concerns such as food laws, sanitation, and cost of living. The objects of the newly formed Association were to promote the welfare of the family, the home and the community, to bring together home economists, to promote a standard of professionalism, and to encourage and support students in this discipline. The Association became inactive about 1929, retaining only a chairman and secretary to carry on necessary work. The association was revived in 1937 and a new constitution adopted. In 1939 the work of the MHEA contributed to the successful formation of the Canadian Home Economics Association at Winnipeg. The name change from the Manitoba Home Economics Association to the Manitoba Association of Home Economists occurred about 1988.