Organizational history of Canadian Women’s Press Club
The Canadian Women's Press Club, Winnipeg Branch, was founded in 1907 to build collegial relations within the national network, to recognise outstanding talent, to improve working conditions, and to share information with other branches. It celebrated the Canadian Women's Press Club's Golden Jubilee, however its date of dissolution is unknown. The Winnipeg Branch lobbied for women's suffrage, protested the Padlock Law, held discussions on equal pay for equal work, and lobbied for opportunities for women journalists. The World Wars improved professional opportunities for women in the press, increasing membership. E. Cora Hind was the first President, and prominent Canadian members were Emily Murphy, Lillian Beynon (first Secretary), Nellie McClung, and Francis Beynon. The Winnipeg Branch held weekly meetings, sometimes hosting guest speakers or presentations, at first in members’ homes, then in its own club rooms in the Industrial Bureau. The Canadian Women's Press Club itself was founded in 1904 and officially organised in 1906 in Winnipeg. It was affiliated with other women's press organisations and groups internationally, including the National Council of Women. The Canadian Women's Press Club held annual, and later tri-annual meetings, hosted by businesses, clubs, and hotels. In 1936 the Members' Memorial Award was created to promote exceptional journalism by Canadian women.