Born in 1818 in Sainte-Anne-de-la-Pérade, Lower Canada, Louis-François Laflèche was educated at le Collège de Nicolet and ordained in 1844. At the request of Bishop Provencher, he traveled that year to the Red River Settlement. In 1846 he founded the mission of Île-à-la-Crosse (Saskatchewan) where he remained for three years. He then returned to St. Boniface, where Provencher had named him coadjutor with right of succession, although illness prevented him from becoming bishop. Laflèche served as vicar general of the diocese and administrator during Bishop Provencher’s absences. He administered the diocese after Provencher’s death in 1853 until the latter was succeeded by Alexandre-Antonin Taché the following year. Laflèche also assisted in the temporal government of the Red River settlement. He was appointed to the Council of Assiniboia in 1850 and regularly intervened on the side of the Métis. He ministered to the population of St. François-Xavier and accompanied the buffalo hunters to the plains in 1850 and 1851. In 1851, he translated the laws of the Red River Settlement into French. Laflèche returned to Lower Canada in 1856, and became a professor at Le Collège de Nicolet. He later became vicar general and then bishop of Trois-Rivières. He died in Trois-Rivières in 1898.