Born in Châteauguay, Lower Canada in 1838, Joachim Allard studied for the priesthood and was ordained in 1865. He met Archbishop Taché while he was Assistant pastor at Berthier, and followed him to the North-West as a missionary. In St. Boniface, he joined the Oblates and studied Cree and Ojibway. Allard was to work among the Native population for 52 years, building six chapels in Aboriginal missions. He was the first missionary to take up residence at Fort Alexander in 1876, where he set up a residential school and built a chapel. In the early 1880s, he also founded the neighboring French Canadian parish of St. Georges. In 1887, he was named Vicar-General by Archbishop Taché and served as diocesan administrator during the interim period between the death of Taché and the designation of his successor, Adélard Langevin in 1895. He died in 1917.